Spring Greens and Flowers Salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Celebrate spring with this colorful, simple-to-make salad. You can buy edible, pesticide-free flowers at many greengrocers and farmers’ markets, or grow some in your garden at home. Other pretty, edible flowers include pansies, violets, hibiscuses and scented geraniums.
- 4 cups (4 oz./125 g) baby spinach leaves
- 4 cups (4 oz./125 g) oakleaf lettuce leaves
- 1 cup (1 oz./30 g) mâche or field greens
- 1/2 cup (3/4 oz./20 g) garlic chive flowers or 2 Tbs. minced
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) rice vinegar
- 2 Tbs. peeled and minced fresh young ginger or 1 Tbs. mature
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./125 ml) safflower oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 nasturtiums or other edible flowers
In a large bowl, combine the spinach, oakleaf lettuce, mâche and chive flowers. Toss gently to mix and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, ginger and garlic. Add the oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly until the vinaigrette is well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
Drizzle the vinaigrette over the greens and toss to mix well. Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with the nasturtiums and serve immediately. Serves 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Salad of the Day, by Georgeanne Brennan (Weldon Owen, 2012).
Leave a Reply