CAULIFLOWER-KALE SOUP WITH CRISPY KALE TOPPING
This silky soup gets depth of flavor from roasted cauliflower, while kale lends a beautiful green hue. Crispy kale and pine nuts add satisfying crunch.
- 1 large head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
- 5 Tbs. (3 fl. oz./80 ml) olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large bunch Tuscan kale, stemmed and leaves torn into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 cups (56 fl. oz./1.75 l) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz./45 g) pine nuts, toasted
1. Preheat an oven to 450°F (230°C).
2. In a large bowl, toss together the cauliflower and 2 Tbs. of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread evenly on a baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and roast, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is tender and the edges are browned and crisp, about 22 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F (150°C).
3. In a bowl, toss together half of the kale with 1 Tbs. of the olive oil and season with salt. Spread evenly on a baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and roast, stirring once halfway through, until the kale is crispy, 26 to 28 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven over medium heat, warm the remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cauliflower and broth, raise the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining kale, increase the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
5. Working in batches, transfer the soup to the blender and puree until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
6. To serve, ladle the soup into individual bowls and top with the crispy kale and pine nuts. Serve immediately. Serves 6 to 8.
Leave a Reply