Spooky Halloween Skull Potatoes
Are you looking for fun Halloween side dish or appetizer ideas? Consider these Halloween skull potatoes, which will bring the scare factor into your festive celebrations! These shrunken head spooky potatoes pair with any kind of meal. The spices and seasonings ensure they’ll be delicious.
COURSE: APPETIZER, SIDE DISH
PREP TIME: 30MINUTES MINUTES
COOK TIME: 30MINUTES MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 1HOUR HOUR
- 1 ½ Pounds potatoes red mini creamer or similar mini potato
- 4 Cups water
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Teaspoon paprika smoked or regular
- ½ Teaspoon black pepper
- parsley flakes fresh or dried, optional for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 385 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash potatoes, then set aside.
- In a large bowl pour 4 cups cold water and mix in 2 Tablespoons of the lemon juice.
- Using a paring knife, carefully carve skull faces into each mini potato. Place the carved potato into the bowl of lemon water.
- In another bowl, mix together the oil, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, and the seasoning.
- Drain the potatoes then toss them in the seasoning oil.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet, face side up. Bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings, and additional salt as preferred.
If you are short on time, no need to carve all of the potatoes! You can carve just enough to give each person 1 of the skulls, then keep the remaining potatoes whole, toss both the skulls and whole potatoes in the seasoning and bake per the recipe. The lemon water keeps the potatoes from browning before you bake them.
Garnish with your favorite toppings such as cheddar, sour cream, parsley, chives, green onions, bacon bits, ketchup, BBQ, buffalo…etc.
Be VERY careful when carving so you don’t get cut! Use any tools you want, I found a small paring knife to work the best. Deeper features result in better faces.
Make any kind of faces you like, they can be jack-o-lanterns or skulls!
AUTHOR: BELLA BUCCHIOTTI