Classic Beef Bourguignon
As far as French cuisine goes, this Classic Beef Bourguignon is a must make! Tender beef swimming in a rich wine sauce–perfect for the holidays.
Prep Time: 30minutes mins
Cook Time: 3hours hrs
Total Time: 3hours hrs 30minutes mins
Makes: 6 servings
- 5 strips bacon, cut into 1″ pieces
- 3 1/2 lbs beef chuck, cut into 2″ pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Burgundy wine, or other bold red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon beef bouillon
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves, dried or fresh
- 10 oz frozen pearl onions, defrosted and drained
- 16 oz cremini mushrooms, quartered
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- Preheat an oven to 350 F.
- Render the bacon. Add the chopped bacon to your dutch oven. Turn the heat to medium-low and cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until it’s browned and has released some of its fat. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon from the pan and transfer to a small bowl.
- Sear the beef. Season the cubes of beef all over with salt and pepper. Increase the heat on the dutch oven to medium-high and sear the beef on all sides until browned. You may need to do this in batches. Remove the beef from the pan.
- Saute the veggies. Decrease the heat to medium and add 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the chopped onions and carrots to the pot and saute for 2-3 minutes, while stirring often. Add the chopped garlic and cook for another minute. Then, add the tomato paste and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often until the paste has darkened in color. Once the tomato paste is ready, sprinkle the flour over the top and stir well to incorporate. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the wine, stock, and herbs. Add the wine to the pot and use a silicone spoon to work up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add in the beef broth and bouillon and bring to a simmer. Add the beef and bacon back to the pot, along with the thyme and bay leaves. Cover the pot and transfer to the oven. Cook for 2 1/2 hours.
- Add the mushrooms and pearl onions. Around the 2 1/2 hour mark, melt the remaining butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once the butter is hot and foamy, add the mushrooms and cook until browned. Add the pearl onions and cook for another 5 minutes, until browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the beef bourguignon from the oven and add the mushrooms and onions. Return to the oven until the beef is very tender, another 45-60 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave covered for 30 minutes before serving.
By So Much Food